Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blog Post #6

I thought that the interviewing assignment was cool. I learned some things about my grandpa that were very interesting. He only had to go to school until the 8th grade. His school was held in a one room classroom. His father died when he was young and his mother was in the hospital. After school he had to stay with several farmers on a room and board basis. He worked from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. everyday. He had to work a lot and hardly got to do anything fun when he was a kid. I'm glad that I am able to go out with friends, play sports, drive a car, and do many other things. I think I have it very easy compared to him especially since he didn't have a very good family life. I would not want to live back then, it probably wasn't bad for him because he didn't realize what he was missing. I enjoy being able to relax, hang with friends, spend time with family, school at times, and all the other activities I do. I learned that the times were really different from 5o years ago to today.

I agree with the "Parenting and Adolescence" video. Everyone goes through puberty and at times life is difficult. Our bodies and brains continue to develop and go through many stages. I know when I was younger I would always have fights with my mom for the smallest things. I realize now that I wanted to become more indepent, but that hurt my parents because their little girl was growing up and they wanted me to stay young forever. Honestly, I don't want to grow up I wish I could stay 17 forever. I think it is the perfect age because I am able to drive and have fun, yet I still have several responsibities. I am enjoying my time as a teenager because we all grow up too quick. I think that my family and friends impact me when becoming an adult the most. I learned from my mistakes, but I have so many more experiences ahead of me.

One thing that I learned from Chapter 4 was how interesting it was that at any age we seek to fit in with groups and are influenced by our peers. Even as preschoolers if a certain food that they don't like is placed on a table with a group of children who like it they will eat it. Teens who start smoking typically do it because they model friends and are offered cigarettes. Parents also influence us but not as much as our peers. Parents are more important when it comes to education, responsibilities, and interacting with others. Peers care about the road to popularity and inventing styles.

One thing I learned from Chapter 5 is stranger anxiety. Stranger anxiety is the fear of strangers that infants commonly display, beginning by about 8 months of age. Babies tend to cry and reach for familiar faces when strangers greet them. They don't want to be left alone because they feel deserted. Infants prefer certain voices and faces. When they don't recognize a face they become distressed. My parents told me that whenever we went to visit my uncles, I would cry when I saw them and reach for mom or dad. My uncles both had beards and I was not used to that. My dad didn't have a beard so I was always scared of those who did. It's weird how our brains, minds, and environment affect us mentally and physically.

4 comments:

  1. What is so weird is that so many people look at one room classes as bad. I also think they are bad. I think that kids are missing out on the attention they deserve. But just this last year our school had to make a lot of cuts and now we have combined classrooms. We ususally only associate combined Classes with back in the day. But now it's at my own school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time asking my Grandpa questions too! He had to work a lot too. He worked on his family's farm everyday after school. I bet our grandpa is a pretty tough guy, considering losing some of his family and barley having time for any fun. My down time from school is having fun with my friends or family. I don't know what I'd do without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was hard work back then. I mean even for my dad he worked all the time with his dad when he was little just to get money to buy a soda. Times were tough back then, it's hard to think that only 50-60 years have gone by since our grandparents were teens. So much has changed in such a short period of time it's strange trying to understand how it all works. In years from now were are going to be looking back wondering what happened just like our older generations did. I totally agree, I would love to stay 17 forever, without all the school work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandpa also only went to school to the 8th grade. I can't believe that school was so expense that they don't accomindate for the ones that are poor. My Grandpa work at a farm from dawn to dark, but he was able to drive his friends to the bar in marshfield every night. My grandpa was the desinated driver. I wish I could have stay 17 forever too....but I am arleady 18. I do think it is interesting that babies cry to strangers and reach toward a reconizable face. I don't like beard either but I am not sure if i did when i was a baby. They are very stratchy.

    ReplyDelete